Last Updated on
Dengue is an infectious disease caused by the mosquito-borne Dengue virus. The symptoms of dengue include high fever, muscle and joint pain, headache, and a typical skin rash similar to measles. The major complication of the dengue fever is hemorrhage caused due to a severe drop in platelet counts during the viral infestation. Therefore it is very necessary to increase platelet count during dengue.
Platelets are small blood cells that aid in clotting of blood. Lower counts of platelets can be fatal. A normal human has a platelet count of between 150,000 and 250,000 per microlitre of blood. However, during dengue, the blood test reveals a drop to 100,000 or below.
Dengue hemorrhagic fever might result in fatal bleeding, plasma leakage or Dengue shock syndrome that causes extreme lowering of blood pressure. In medicine, there is no drug to increase the platelet counts except for infusion techniques. A few home remedies can aid in improving platelet counts to some extent without any harm.
Keep reading to know about natural ways to hike your platelet levels –
INCREASE BLOOD PLATELET COUNTS IN DENGUE!!
Here are some brilliant food ideas that are beneficial to increase your blood platelet counts and thereby help recover from dengue.
Papaya And Its Leaves
Papaya has an important role in increasing platelet counts due to its high protein content and the ability to potentiate bone marrow to produce platelets. The juice from papaya and its leaves are proved to improve dengue conditions, relieve fever and increase platelet count many folds every day.
- Drink a glass of papaya juice with little lemon juice or eat ripe papayas 2-3 times a day.
- Grind fresh papaya leaves and extract its juice. Take 2 teaspoons of the papaya leaf extract every six hours for effective results.
Pumpkin And Its Seeds
Pumpkins are lovely winter squashes that are loaded with nutrients like vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A which regulates the production of proteins that regulate platelet generation in the body. The regulation of protein production in the body is very essential to increase platelet count during dengue.
- Add pumpkin puree to various preparations like soups, baked stuff or smoothies.
- Take half glass of freshly prepared pumpkin juice and mix 1 teaspoon of honey to it. Consume 2-3 times a day.
- Roast a handful of pumpkin seeds and enjoy the flavor or add them to the curries or desserts the choice is yours.
Wheatgrass has a high content of chlorophyll and a molecular structure similar to that of hemoglobin. The juice increases the level of hemoglobin and blood cells in the body and is beneficial to increase platelet count during dengue as well.
- Drink half glass wheatgrass juice mixed with lemon juice daily.
Antioxidant Rich Foods
Antioxidants neutralize free radicals in the body and cope with the decreasing platelet counts. Berries and citrus foods and some other foods are rich in antioxidants. The daily dietary recommendation of vitamin C is 65-90 mg/day.
- Include oranges, strawberries, broccoli, kiwi, tomatoes, spinach, cabbage in your diet to increase Vitamin C levels (a powerful antioxidant).
- Vitamin C supplements may be taken on doctor’s advice.
- Indian gooseberries or Amla are a very good source of antioxidants and boost the immune system. Eat 3-4 amla’s empty stomach or jams made from it daily.
Another dietary item used to increase platelet count during dengue is beetroot. It has high antioxidants and hemostatic properties that protect you against free radical damage.
- Mixing beetroot and carrot juice is a good option. Take it 2 times daily.
- Drinking 1 tablespoon of fresh beetroot juice 3 times a day can work wonders.
- Add them to your delectable veggie salads or drink it as a yummy soup.
These bitter leaves are miraculously known for its health benefits and medicinal properties. Including neem in your diet is an effective way to treat dengue symptoms. It boosts up your platelets and fastens up the recovery process. It has antiviral properties that restrict viral growth in the body.
- Chew some fresh neem leaves every morning.
- Boil some fresh neem leaves in a cup of water. Cool, strain and drink this as is. Neem has a bitter taste so you may consider adding lime juice to the drink.
- You can also consume dry neem leaves powder available at Ayurvedic stores near you along with a teaspoon of honey.
Lemon again is a very rich source of vitamin C that helps to increase platelet count during dengue. It can also improve our body’s defense system and thus help treat the symptoms of dengue. Enhanced immunity helps fight free radical damage to the platelets.
- Lemon sherbet is a great detox drink that you may try.
- Add lemon juice to your salad dressings or curries alternatively.
- Cinnamon tea with lemon juice is great to boost platelet counts.
Aloe Vera Juice
In the case of dengue the blood platelet counts drop drastically. Aloe vera comes to rescue here too. Its juice helps in blood purification and prevents blood infections. It is known to treat thrombocytopenia (low platelet blood cell count) effectively.
- Drink freshly made aloe vera juice with 1 teaspoon of lime juice.
- Mix aloe vera juice with amla juice to make a potent health drink to recover from dengue.
Spinach is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and folate which makes it a great ingredient in the category of foods to increase platelet count during dengue. It is also high in Vitamin K content that prevents blood loss from injuries.
- Consume as spinach juice or creamy soup.
- Add the leaves to your warm salads along with other vitamin C rich foods.
- Make yummylicious Palak Paneer! Dairy products will help your nutrient quotient to be on a rise.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Up your intake of foods that are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids. Spinach, flax seeds, spinach, fishes are some of your ideal choices here. These strengthen your immune system and help the bone marrow to boost platelet production.
- Fish oil supplements, nuts, and lean meat proteins should aid to increase platelet count during dengue.
These amazing regular food ideas can help you increase platelet count during dengue naturally. Drink plenty of water, exercise and rest properly to maintain good health. This helps to recover quickly from dengue.
She is pharmacist by education and working in field of medical content development for more than 8 years. She has execllent hold on medical content research and development and has produce valuable data for various pharmaceutical companies.