Last Updated on
How many of you are Mexican food lovers? Which is your favorite Mexican dish?
Chilli Con Carne or Chicken Quesadillas?
Enchiladas or Burritos with Minced Meat Filling?
How many of you have tried cooking hominy? Does this word ring a bell? What does it actually mean? If your answer is NO you must definitely check out this article where you will know what it actually is, how it is made and also its various health benefits.
Hominy is a famous Mexican dish made from corn. It has so many health benefits that you must include it in your diet. You’ll become a huge fan of hominy once you taste the yummilicious corn delight.
So, for all those people who aren’t aware of this Mexican food, here is our detailed information.
What Is Hominy?
Hominy is a food made out of corn kernels. Basically, it is a kind of a food item that is made out of corn using a process called nixtamalization. In this process, the field corn kernels are dried out in the sun and then soaked in an alkaline solution of lye or lime. The slaked lime is the solution of calcium hydroxide while lye is an alkaline solution produced by leaching wood ash. The process of nixtamalization removes the hull and germ of the corn and causes it to puff up to twice its size. Then the soaked corns will be washed off. After all this processing they are ready to be consumed.
Hominy can be made using both yellow and white maize. This type of corn kernels are used to make cornflakes and other cornmeal, as opposed to the sweet contraindicated unless benefits outweigh risks. That can be consumed on the cob.
You can read more about delicious Brussels Sprouts recipes and benefits here.
How Is It Consumed?
People consume this food item in different forms and ways. Some consume them intact after they are done with the processing. Some consume hominy grits. You may be obliged thinking what hominy grits are? They are nothing but the finely ground dried corn or maize after the process of nixtamalization. Many people also consume it by making it into flour. The four forms in which hominy can be consumed are:
Where To Find This?
This food item can be easily available at the local stores near you if you are thinking about where to buy hominy. You can either buy a hominy can or dried hominy whichever you find easy to use.
How To Make Hominy?
Wondering how to cook dried hominy? This is simple! It’s similar to cooking dried beans. The flavor is up a level as compared to using the processed canned hominy. Let’s look at the steps below:
- Take about 2 cups of dried corn
- Then take 10 cups of water and ¼ cup of pickling lime, soak them together overnight and simmer the solution for about two hours
- Then after the lime water solution is ready, add the two cups of dried corn to this pickling water solution
- Soak them overnight, and simmer them for about 3 hours and also test bite checking them every half an hour
- Then finally dilute and rinse it thoroughly
- It is done and ready to use
Health Benefits Of Hominy
It is one of the must-have ingredients in many of the traditional Mexican dishes. We believe that processed and canned food can never be considered as healthy but this is not true in the case of this superfood. If you are looking for a healthy option to replace your current diet this should be your choice. So, here we present with some of the health benefits of this tasty Mexican delight.
Low In Calories
Hominy is very low in its calorific content. This processed food item provides you with sufficient nutrition with half the calories as compared to a cup of rice. The presence of fiber tends to keep you replete for a longer time. Now you can think of losing weight without running out of energy. Replace your carb-packed foods with this grain to help your weight loss regimen.
If you are looking for gluten-free food options for including in your diet, then this food item can be a great choice. Canned hominy is naturally void of gluten and it is high in carbohydrates which makes it your source of energy. People suffering from celiac diseases are recommended gluten-free diet, thus making hominy perfect food for this group of individuals.
Fiber Rich Food
Fiber content is more in this food item. You will be able to meet all your fiber requirements with this fiber-rich food. Fiber gives you a satisfying feeling and it is also very good for your digestive tract. This can also help in regulating your blood sugar levels, control diabetes, reduce cholesterol and thus helps in weight loss.
Rich In Vitamin B
After the process of nixtamalization, the amount of vitamin B in the kernels with being readily available for the body. Your body will receive this vitamin as much as required and you can stay away from all those problems that are caused by the deficiency of Vitamin B. Vitamin B also boosts the production of RBCs in your blood. It is also known to boost your energy levels with lesser calories. So, get your dose of vitamin B with this food.
This food even contains very less percentage of sugar content in it which makes it a go-to food solution for everyone without the fact that they have diabetes or not. So, if you are considering reducing the sugar content in your diet which is a really good move, you can have this food in your diet.
With high vitamin and carbs in it and low sugar, no cholesterol, and no fats, this food can be and in fact, must be included in your diet if you are going through a weight loss journey.
All these points make hominy healthy.
Some Easy To Try Hominy Recipes
Here is a list of some mouth-watering hominy recipes for Mexican lovers like you.
- Hominy Quesadillas
- Mexican Hominy Stew
- Pork and Hominy Posole
- Southwestern Hominy
- Chilaquiles and much more
- Take 1 cup of hominy, rinse them off with fresh water and drain well
- Also take ¼ cup of green pepper, an onion, celery and slice them all
- Now toss them all together
- Finally add a few tablespoons of sweet pickle relish, salt to taste, a teaspoon of celery seeds, grated cheese and a bit of mayonnaise and stir all the ingredients together
- Chill it for some time and serve it
- Put a pan on the stove and sauté a chopped large onion with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until they become soft and transparent
- Add a tablespoon of roughly ground cumin seeds
- Then add about 3 diced potatoes, 2 chopped chilies, 4 cups of hominy, vegetable stock
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer it on low flame for about 45 minutes
- Add chopped cilantro on the top and a pinch of salt to taste
- Serve it hot
- Chill thoroughly washed and drained hominy for about a day
- Now heat oil in a frying pan for deep fry
- Take 1 cup of all-purpose flour, ½ cup of cornmeal, ¼ cup of cornstarch, salt, and pepper to taste
- Now take this and toss them in this flour mixture and tap to remove the excess flour before placing them in the oil to deep fry
- Fry them for a few minutes, and then drain the excess oil
- Sprinkle any spice mix you have and serve
So, we hope and wish you realized the benefits of hominy and would like to taste these easy to try recipes.
Do share your favorite hominy recipes with us.
She is pharmacist by education and working in field of medical content development for more than 8 years. She has execllent hold on medical content research and development and has produce valuable data for various pharmaceutical companies.