A workout is not only about losing weight but actually, a lot of health aspects are included in it. Staying healthy helps one to stay active which is linked to improves sleep, energy, and mood. Having a healthy workout has something in relation to food as well.
Many few people know the fact that what you eat before and after a workout is very much important and as suggested by dieticians here are a few things that you should consider eating pre and post workout.
Must eat for a Healthy Workout Before and After it
A workout is a great thing to do to keep our body fit and healthy, but at the same, it should be done with some proper awareness and full preparedness as well and there is some proper diet that you should follow to get some great results found from a workout. Here are a few things that you can consider to take before doing a workout. Check them out
- Carbohydrates are very much required for our body, they break down into glucose in our body and thus give us energy that can be useful to start exercise. So, get the carbs you need from a piece of fruit, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, dried fruit, rice cake, a piece of toast.
- Proteins are also very much needed as they help our muscles to heal and grow stronger. Get proteins from nuts, turkey slice, hardboiled egg, milk/soy milk.
- Hydrating your body is very much needed before you workout, so do take 2, 3 cups of water before 2-3 hours of your workout. 1 cup of water before 20 minutes of workout is also suggested.
- Some pre-workout snacks may include Greek yogurt, rice cakes, roasted veggies, baked salmon. Considering taking these health foods which give you the required energy for your body to withstand the workout.
- Bread, butter, and jam can help you a lot and give you the required energy that your muscles might be craving for before you begin doing the exercises. If you like you can add the dose of peanut butter instead of the regular butter as it will help you to feel full. This peanut butter can actually help you in staying away from your post-workout cravings. So, have bread loaded with butter and jam.
- Oatmeal is another amazing item that you should consider to eat before you do the workout. Oatmeal is a full fiber content and you can choose to include fruits along with the oatmeal to make it tasty and that can help you in making it a more healthy diet to have before your workout. This can help you in staying energetic for a longer period of time.
- Sweet potato is another really healthy food item that can help you in fulfilling your hunger and even helps you stay energetic even after completing your workout.
- Smoothies and milkshakes are another easily digestible and very healthy food items that you can consider to take before you do a workout as your pre-workout diet. These fluid foods can also help you in staying hydrated.
We usually feel very much tired after doing a workout. The diet we take after a workout is as much important as the diet before a workout. It helps in building up our energy back and here are some foods that you can consider to take post workout. Check these out
- You need to eat something immediately after a workout period. Consider eating proteins after the workout as they may help you in muscle recovery.
- Keep your post-workout snacks limited to 150 calories and post workout meal should be about 500 calories. So immediately after you finish your workout, you may crave for food, but taking too much of snacks may reduce your meal intake, so consider taking few snacks and more meal which will be good. This can reflect and help you in having a healthy workout.
- Rehydrating your body is very much important. So don’t forget to take water and liquids often to hydrate your body. You can opt to take fluids while you are working out by taking some intervals in between or else you can also choose to go for liquids immediately after your workout is done.
- Some of the best post-workout snacks include chocolate smoothie, hardboiled egg with bread toast, wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced banana. You can try these easy to make recipes which will not take so much of your time.
- Protein Shakes with ingredients like banana can be a great food to immediately after doing a workout. You can also prefer to take some protein shake of any protein powder of your choice. You can also consider taking almond milk.
- Grilled chicken may sound heavy but after a sweat-filled workout, your body definitely deserves to be treated with some yummy and delicious yet really healthy food. So you can also prefer to take grilled chicken with mixed vegetables which will help your body while it is in its recovery mode.
- Veggie omelet is another healthy post-workout food option that you can choose to have after doing a heavy workout. This can help you in having the required supplements for your post workout body. You can also complement it with avocado and roasted potatoes.
- Steamed vegetables are another really amazing post-workout food that you must consider to eat if you really wish to stay energetic after a heavy workout. This can help you in having a healthy workout.
So, do consider the above things mentioned. Take good care of the pre and post-workout eats to find better and improved results. Have a healthy workout.
She is a pharmacist by education and working in the field of medical content development for more than 9 years. She has an excellent hold on medical content research and development and has produced valuable data for various pharmaceutical companies.