Yes, we are going to give you some amazing DIY cough syrups recipes that you can try, but before that just to give you an idea about a cough, here is a bit of information about a cough, symptoms, and causes.
A cough is a common reflex action that clears the throat of mucus or foreign irritants. Coughing to clear the throat is typically an infrequent action, although a number of conditions can cause more frequent bouts of coughing.
In general, a cough that lasts for less than three weeks is an acute cough.
A cough that lasts between 3 and 8 weeks, improving by the end of that period, is a subacute cough.
A persistent cough that lasts more than eight weeks is a chronic cough.
- Treating A Cough
- DIY Cough Syrups Recipes
- Homemade Cough Syrup For Toddlers
- A cough is a standard way of clearing the throat. When your airways become clogged with mucus or foreign particles such as smoke or dust, a cough is a reflex reaction that attempts to clear the particles and make breathing easier.
- Another most common cause of a cough is a respiratory tract infection, such as a cold or flu. Respiratory tract infections are usually caused by a virus and may last from a few days to a week. Infections caused by the flu may take a little longer to clear up and may sometimes require antibiotics.
- Smoking is another common cause of coughing. A cough caused by smoking is almost always a chronic cough with a distinctive sound. It’s often known as “smoker’s cough.”
- A common cause of coughing in young children is asthma. Typically, asthmatic coughing involves wheezing, making it easy to identify. Asthma exacerbations should receive treatment using an inhaler. It’s possible for children to grow out of asthma as they get older.
Treating A Cough
A cough that results from a virus can’t be treated with antibiotics. You can, however, soothe it in the following ways:
- Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Elevate your head with extra pillows when sleeping.
- Use cough drops to soothe your throat.
- Gargle hot salt water regularly to remove mucus and soothe your throat.
- Avoid irritants, including smoke and dust.
- Add honey or ginger to hot tea to relieve your cough and clear your airway.
- Use decongestant sprays to unblock your nose and ease breathing.
DIY Cough Syrups Recipes
These are some of the best homemade cough remedies that you can try easily.
1. Homemade Cough Syrup Without Honey
This is an old-fashioned cough syrup recipe that you must try.
- 1 cup pineapple juice made fresh if possible
- 1/4 cup lemon juice optional
- 1 tablespoon raw honey optional
- pinch of sea salt optional
- pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- Blend or stir ingredients together.
- Store in a glass bottle (mason jars or these reusable glass bottles will work if you don’t have any leftover glass bottles around).
- Take 1-3 tablespoons as needed to soothe a cough, cold or a sore throat.
2. Homemade Cough Syrup Recipe With Honey And Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients.
- Keep in a jar.
- Take as often as needed (usually 1 tbsp.)
- Feel better soon!!
3. Homemade Cough Syrup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of filtered water
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey (preferably local, organic honey but if you don’t have that, and honey is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar with a lid.
- Close lid tightly and shake until combined.
- Drink 3 tablespoons of the liquid to start off with, then sip small amounts during the day.
4. Glycerin Cough Syrup
This is one of the best homemade cough suppressants that works great with your cough and helps you to get out of the cough problem.
- ¼ cup food-grade glycerine
- ¼ cup honey and ¼ cup lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients in a jar and give it a good whisk. Store it in a dry air-tight container. Take 1 teaspoon of this cough syrup every few hours.
5. Ginger Cough Syrup
- 1 quart of filtered water
- ¼ cup ginger root
- ¼ cup chamomile flowers
- ¼ cup marshmallow root
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup honey
- Pour the water into a medium saucepan and add the dried herbs.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the volume is reduced by about half.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove herbs.
- While liquid is still warm (not boiling) mix with lemon juice and honey and stir well.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.
6. Onion Cough Syrup
- 1 cup freshly chopped onion
- About ½ cup raw honey
- Slice the onions and place them in the saucepan over low heat, then add honey just to cover the onions.
- Give it a quick stir every few minutes and leave it on over very low heat for 20 mins.
- Bottle the syrup and keep refrigerated.
Homemade Cough Syrup For Toddlers
Milk and Honey Cough Syrup
Milk and honey together work as an effective remedy to cure a cough in children. The soothing properties of honey along with nourishing properties of milk work really well in curing cough in kids. This syrup will not only provide relief from a cough, but it will also help in easing a running nose. Both these ingredients are easily available at home, and you may prepare this homemade cough suppressant for children as soon as you establish the first sign of a cough.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/8 spoon or a pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
- Take milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring it to boil.
- After it boils, take the pan off the flame.
- Once the milk gets warm, add honey and turmeric powder to the milk and mix well.
- You may give it your kid as an effective cough remedy any time during the day.
These are some of the amazing and simple to try cough syrups home remedies, DIY cough syrups. Do try these homemade remedies for adults, and kids and stay away from coughing problem.
A feminist by thoughts. She would love to have discussions about anything. Always ready to take up new challenges that comes her way. With a Masters degree in Commerce, she is into blogging and is thoroughly enjoying it. As a foodie, she would love to taste various foods. She loves to watch food and travel shows.