Last Updated on
Like the winter season? But, what about the bugs that come along with the snowy fun? It’s not so much fun right?
Cough is one of the most troublesome and nagging conditions of the cold seasons. It is a common reflex action to clear the throat of irritants and mucus. Coughing can take down the fittest of person. A cough can last for less than 3 weeks (acute cough) or it can stay longer for about 3-8 weeks (subacute cough) or a persistent cough that lingers on even after 8 weeks (chronic cough).
If you’re tired of hacking up your lungs and you have decided to get hold of OTC cough syrups or pop some antibiotics, just hold on. We have some DIY cough syrups that may overpower the medications to relieve cough symptoms.
- DIY Cough Syrups Recipes
- Other Tips To Get Rid Of Coughs
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated
- You experience most cough bouts while sleeping. So try sleeping on extra pillows (keep your head elevated)
- Gargle with salt water or throat rinses to clear mucus and get relief from sore throat
- Use cough drops
- Stay away from smoke and dust
- Get rid of decongestion by taking a steam or using saline nasal drops
DIY Cough Syrups Recipes
Homemade cough syrups can come at your rescue almost instantly when you first start coughing. They are the best ways to soothe a sore throat. Your voice also turns hoarse and DIY cough syrups with ginger help to build up the body’s natural defense system. So stop chugging on those OTC medications and pink liquids when you’re suffering from cough.
Make these super effective DIY cough syrups using few simple ingredients. You’ll find most of these in your spice cabinet. Let’s look at some easy recipes to soothe your cough and sore throat.
1. Hot And Strong Homemade Cough Syrup
This is a super spicy and strong mixture of honey, cayenne pepper, and ginger. But, it is very effecting in treating sore throat and cough. Gulp the syrup in a single shot down your throat so that your tongue feels the least of spice. Take a look at the recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Fill the glass with water.
- Add honey, pepper, ginger, vinegar and lime juice to it.
- Cover with a lid and shake to combine all ingredients.
- Take 1 teaspoon of this syrup to soothe sore throats and coughs.
- Repeat every couple of hours or as required.
- Store cough syrup in the refrigerator.
- Do not give to children under 1 year because the preparation contains honey.
- Brush your teeth after having this infusion to protect your dental enamel from the acidic compounds.
2. DIY Cough Syrups With Pineapple
When the weather is getting cold you might be down with a cough. You might then want to turn to pineapple based syrups to soothe the throat. Pineapple is a wonder fruit with abundant vitamin C, enzymes, bromelain, and other phyto-compounds. These help to reduce coughing symptoms.
This is one of the best old-fashioned DIY cough syrups that you must try.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey optional
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- Stir all the ingredients together in a glass container.
- Store the syrup in a mason jar and refrigerate.
- Use 1-3 tablespoon of the syrup when needed.
- If you are preparing the syrup for infants, omit honey and cayenne pepper as honey can lead to infant botulism.
3. Lemon And Ginger DIY Cough Syrup
Honey is the choice of anti-infective and soothing agent in most of the DIY cough syrups. Lemon is rich in vitamin C that boosts the immune system and fights cough and cold. Ginger is a great expectorant and mint adds freshness to your breath.
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoon raw or organic honey
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, grated
- Few mint leaves
- Choose a glass jar with a tight
- Slice the lemon in the jar.
- Add grated ginger and mint leaves.
- Pour raw honey to cover the above ingredients and mix well.
- Keep for 3-4 hours till honey extracts all juice from other ingredients.
- Refrigerate and use this cough remedy whenever needed.
- Top up honey into the jar. The syrup will last at least for 2 months when refrigerated.
- You can mix 1 tablespoon of this mixture in your cup of tea and consume daily.
4. Milk And Honey Cough Remedy
Milk and honey go well to cure cough symptoms. The nourishing properties of milk with the anti-infective properties of honey can relieve cough. This mixture also helps ease congestion and runny nose. This homemade cough suppressant is an amazing cure for cough in children.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- pinch of turmeric powder
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- star anise optional
- Bring milk to boil in a heavy bottom pan
- Let the milk turn warm and then add honey, turmeric, cinnamon and star anise to it.
- Mix well.
- Give it to children any time of day to soothe a cough.
- Don’t give to children below 1 year of age, as honey can lead to infant botulism.
5. Thyme DIY Cough Syrups
DIY cough syrups containing thyme works wonders for common cough and bronchitis. It is a mix of thyme, pepper, and ginger with raw honey to relieve cough. Black pepper facilitates mucus flow and improves blood circulation. Ginger is a good expectorant while thyme is an excellent antimicrobial. It also relaxes the airways and soothes a sore throat.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup water
- Take water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add black pepper, ginger, and thyme to the water and boil over high flame.
- Now simmer for 5 – 10 minutes on low flame.
- Strain the infused water and let it cool.
- Add honey to the infusion.
- Whisk the mixture in a blender and store in the cool place.
- You can store this homemade cough syrup for about 3-4 weeks.
Other Tips To Get Rid Of Coughs
You can soothe the cough in various ways. Try these hacks and make some DIY cough syrups to get rid of the annoying coughs.
Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated
You experience most cough bouts while sleeping. So try sleeping on extra pillows (keep your head elevated)
Gargle with salt water or throat rinses to clear mucus and get relief from sore throat
Use cough drops
Stay away from smoke and dust
Get rid of decongestion by taking a steam or using saline nasal drops
Hope you have liked our recipes of DIY cough syrups. You can change the concentration of ingredients as per your discretion and make the syrups.
Say goodbye to cough with these effective home remedies. Do try and share as much as possible.
Do write about your magical cough remedy in the comment box below.
She is pharmacist by education and working in field of medical content development for more than 8 years. She has execllent hold on medical content research and development and has produce valuable data for various pharmaceutical companies.