Last Updated on
Imagine you are carrying a bag full of load throughout the day. How do you feel? Exhausted? Weary? Can take it no more? That’s just how your scalp feels when it is loaded with styling products and its remnants. Here is when a good clarifying shampoo comes to play. It effectively removes various hair care products that are clinging to your scalp. You’re bound to face problems like dandruff, greasiness and hair loss if you don’t clear the buildup.
Check out the list of some best clarifying shampoos you can use to get rid of the product residue and have a dirt-free scalp.
Reasons To Use A Clarifying Shampoo
- To get rid of buildup from your hair styling products – Your regular hair products leave a residue on your scalp, follicles and hair shafts. Silicones, waxes and other chemicals in the hair care products leave a residue over time. Using clarifying shampoo once a week can cleanse your scalp effectively.
- Works as a volume booster for fine hair – If you have fine, sleek and straight hair that sticks to your head, opt for clarifying shampoo. On those special occasions, you can use the deep cleansing shampoo to achieve voluminous hair.
- To clean non-color-treated very oily hair – Greasy hair? The clarifying shampoo is your go-to solution for the problem. If you have too oily hair, you can skip the use of conditioner or use a lightweight spray leave-in conditioner after shampoo.
- To prepare your hair for color – Using a clarifying shampoo before going for a hair color treatment ensure that the color deposits well on the hair without any chemical or mineral buildup. Shampoo two days prior to your color appointment.
- To get rid of chlorine or hard water deposits – Swimming too often or living in an area with high mineral-rich deposits can have the residue buildup on your hair. A clarifying shampoo can help you get rid of these deposits.
- To keep blonde hair from turning brassy – Blonde hair becomes very porous and thus absorbs yellow tones from the environment. Use a clarifying shampoo along with purple shampoo once a week to avoid the problem of brassiness.
Some Of The Best Clarifying Shampoo
1. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
It instantly clears impurities and claims to remove 90% of product residue in your hair. The shampoo effectively cleanses the hair and removes excess oil from the scalp. A clear scalp boosts hair growth and nourishes your hair.
- Controls scalp greasiness
- Conditions your hair
- Can be used on color-treated hair
- Light-weight formula
- Pleasant fragrance
- Chemically-instilled product
2. Moroccanoil Clarifying Shampoo
To get rid of product buildup from your hair styling products, Moroccanoil brings a unique formula for clarifying shampoo to gently cleanse your hair. It contains argan oil, avocado oil, lavender oil, chamomile, keratin, and jojoba extracts to nourish hair and cleanse the impurities. The Moroccanoil Clarifying Shampoo also imparts shine and volume to your hair.
- Lathers well
- Keeps your hair feathery light
- Reduces greasiness
- Helps in detangling your hair
- Tends to dry out your hair
3. Pureology Purify Shampoo
Women with color-treated locks can use this clarifying shampoo without worrying about the fading of the hair color. The Purify shampoo provides all the slime-removing benefits without stripping away your hair color.
- Protects and nourishes color-treated hair
- Gentle on hair
- Dries hair slightly
4. Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three
Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Three helps to minimize the greasiness on your scalp and boosts hair volume. It removes hair dulling buildup, strengthens the tresses and controls future product buildup in your hair. The shampoo strikes a balance to remove extra oil and maintain moisture levels in your scalp.
- Provides instant results
- Moisturizes hair
- Can be used on color-treated hair
- Long-lasting effects
- Availability issues
- Expensive but worth the price
- Not suitable for color-treated hair
5. Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo
Instilled with aloe vera, lemon essential oils, vitamin E, and quinoa proteins, the Avalon Organic Clarifying Shampoo removes impurities and excess oil from your strands. It transforms your dull hair into shiny locks. It cleanses and rejuvenates your hair naturally.
- Suitable for oily scalp
- Adds bounce to your hair
- Hair feels light and fresh
- Does not strip away natural oils
- Provides long-lasting effect
- Contains no parabens, chemical preservatives, phthalates or sulfates
- Availability issues
Which one(s) of these clarifying shampoos are you going to try out?
Comment below and let us know about your experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do you use clarifying shampoo?
Use a sulfate-free shampoo once or twice a week if you have normal hair type. For dry or curly hair use the shampoo once or twice a month. Massage the shampoo into the roots to work on the maximum product buildup area.
Is it OK to use a clarifying shampoo every day?
No. If you expose your hair to a lot of styling products, swim often, or live in an area rich in mineral-rich water then use the clarifying shampoo twice a month. If you have very oily hair you can use it more often. Condition your hair after shampoo.
Is purple shampoo a clarifying shampoo?
The purple shampoo is a purifying and clarifying shampoo. It acts effectively to remove product buildup and reduce damage to hair.
What will clarifying shampoo do to highlights?
This shampoo adds shine and removes greasiness from your hair. It fades the color of your highlights. So use the these type of shampoo if you want to remove or get the desired shade of hair color.
Does these type of shampoos help hair grow faster?
Massaging with these type of shampoo through your scalp and hair will get rid of clogs in the follicles. The shampoo cleanses your scalp and stimulates blood circulation and thereby promotes hair growth.
She is a pharmacist by education and working in the field of medical content development for more than 9 years. She has an excellent hold on medical content research and development and has produced valuable data for various pharmaceutical companies.