A good clarifying shampoo is non-negotiable, so we’ve put together a list of the best clarifying shampoos on the market. We love reviewing the best shampoos and while not designed for everyday use. Clarifying shampoos are perfect as a once-weekly treatment to completely strip your hair of any gunk or residue. They work perfectly with a moisturizing shampoo.
You might think you have no need for any hair-clarification action (yes, I just made up that term), but if you colour or highlight your hair, use the aforementioned weekly hair masques, or apply any type of styling products—even dry shampoo—then yes, a bottle of this stuff needs to be in your shower.
- Clarifying Shampoo – What Is It Exactly
- Reasons To Use A Clarifying Shampoo
- Some Of The Best Clarifying Shampoo
- How to Use a Clarifying Shampoo?
Clarifying Shampoo – What Is It Exactly
Clarifying shampoos also go under the names “purifying,” “detox” and deep-cleansing.” What they’re designed to do is remove stubborn build-up from your hair. Think slippery silicones, waxes, moisturizers or plain old gunk from your regular shampoo, conditioner or styling products (including hair oils, mousses, hairsprays and dry shampoo). Clarifying shampoos also help to lift away mineral deposits from hard water, and the chlorine and other chemicals that stick to hair in a swimming pool.
Reasons To Use A Clarifying Shampoo
- Even if you love your regular hair products, it’s helpful to occasionally work in a clarifying shampoo to remove any build-up—especially of silicone-based conditioners and if you use any hairstyling products (even dry shampoo). Since the silicones, waxes and other ingredients coat your strands and build up on top of each other over time, they can contribute to duller, lank-looking locks
- Is limp, greasy hair driving you crazy? A clarifying shampoo could do the trick by giving you a deeper and less moisturizing cleanse. You could then skip conditioner if you really don’t think you need it, or just apply the tiniest amount to the last quarter of your lengths—or use a spray-in leave-in conditioner (I find this one nice and lightweight)
- A quick note on chlorine and hard water. One of the beauty editor moments that are permanently etched in my memory is the one time a top celebrity colourist told me my hair had taken on a slightly greenish hue—the horror! Talk about embarrassing. I’d just come back from the south of France, and I’m sure didn’t have a strong enough shampoo with me to get out the swimming pool chlorine
- If you notice that your hair is looking lifeless, dull, oily, or flat, you may want to try a clarifying shampoo. Many of the products aimed at making our hair look beautiful, such as mousse, gel, wax, and hairspray, build up over time, weighing hair down. Chlorine and other chemicals from swimming pools, and even mineral deposits from hard water can also build up.
Some Of The Best Clarifying Shampoo
1. Pantene Damage Detox Deep Cleanse Purifying Shampoo
- Pro-v formula with 2x antioxidants* deeply cleans to remove impurities and buildup (*vs. Pantene repair & protect shampoo)
- Weekly cleansing resets hair and helps promote all-day shine, even on color treated hair
- Use weekly with pantene pro-v damage detox scalp care conditioner as part of pantenes total detox system; infused with mosa mint oil
- Give hair the deep detox it deserves with pantene pro-v damage detox scalp weekly deep cleanse shampoo.
- use the pro-v formula with 2x antioxidants* each week to reset hair by removing impurities and buildup.
This is Pantene’s newest launch, and it’s a great price for a clarifying shampoo, which is normally found at the salon level. It’s safe for colour-treated hair, so the cleanse you’ll get is a bit gentler.
This is definitely the best clarifying shampoo for colour treated hair.
2. Pureology Purify Shampoo
- Pureology purify shampoo 250ml
- Range: purify; size: another size; volume: 250ml
- Apply shampoo onto damp hair: gently massage into hair: leave on for 1ÃƒÂÃ'â'¬Ã'â€œ2 minutes: rinse thoroughly: repeat: leave on hair under dryer for up to 20 minutes to remove extreme buildup or ÃƒÂÃ'â'¬Ã'Å"swimm
Most women with colour-treated hair assume that clarifying shampoo is simply off the table. After all, plenty of well-meaning women have washed with a clarifying shampoo only to see their hair colour wash right down the drain. Luckily, the Purify shampoo is designed specifically for women with colour-treated hair. Yes, if you have colour treated hair you can use a clarifying shampoo. It will provide all the gunk-removing benefits of a clarifying shampoo while leaving your colour perfectly intact. If you have colour treated hair you should also read about our top picks for colour treated hair, here!
3. Back to Basics Citrus Sage Clarifying Shampoo
- Imorted product, 100% genuine.
- Senses indulged, body replenished, mind calmed
This is a daily clarifying shampoo which is mild in nature. It comprises of ingredients such as grapefruit, lime, orange, panthenol, mandarin and sage. Blending all the ingredients together have been proven excellent for clarifying your hair from the buildup of shampoos, conditioners and styling products. This leaves your hair looking radiant and healthy.
4. Joico K-PAK Clarifying Shampoo
- Targets heavily styled hair and those residing in hard water areas
- Eliminates chlorine that will transform blonde hair to green
- Clears styling product buildup and mineral residues caused by hard water
Despite having a name that reminds us of that awful Kevin Spacey alien movie – this product is frequently raved about by industry experts and YouTube hair gurus. The K-Pak clarifying shampoo manages to strip away gunk and impurities without sucking away moisture. While it will clarify your hair, it won’t make your hair feel like it’s been stripped. It keeps it bright, shiny, and moisturized! Especially if you use the Joico conditioner. This is the best clarifying shampoo for hair purists who are looking for salon quality in the comfort of their own shower. Plus, the packaging is great and the pumps make getting the shampoo a breeze.
5. Redken Cleanse Creme
This clarifying crème-based shampoo is considered one of the best shampoos available in the market even by the hair experts. It helps your hair to look absolutely fresh, clean and also adds extra shine to it. You may also apply this shampoo on your hair and wear a shower cap. Now hold a hair dryer and run it over the cap for around 2-3 minutes. Wash normally thereafter. These simple steps will leave your hair squeaky clean.
How to Use a Clarifying Shampoo?
Using a clarifying shampoo is no different from regular shampoo except for two simple additional steps. When you first apply the shampoo, massage your scalp with it for about 60 seconds. If you have major build up, massage a little more. Now rinse it, take a small quantity again and apply this gently on your hair for about a minute or two. That’s it, you are done! Rinse your hair thoroughly to get rid of all the build up.
There is a common misconception that clarifying shampoo is bad for your hair. However, by doing your research, (which you are by reading this article) you will learn which clarifying shampoo is best for you. We sincerely hope this article helps you find the best clarifying shampoo for you!
A feminist by thoughts. She would love to have discussions about anything. Always ready to take up new challenges that comes her way. With a Masters degree in Commerce, she is into blogging and is thoroughly enjoying it. As a foodie, she would love to taste various foods. She loves to watch food and travel shows.